Why apply for financing from NEFCO?
NEFCO provides financing for economically viable green projects with positive environmental effects. All of our activities aim to generate positive environmental impact in the project countries and in the Nordic region. We offer various types of financing including loans on market terms and share capital in companies for green investments in Eastern Europe. We also offer loans, equity-type financing and grants to Nordic Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises (SMEs) for green investments in countries carried out on global markets, outside the Nordic countries.
Furthermore, to ensure the environmental criteria are met, we offer environmental project implementation expertise. Our financing also has a catalytic role in mobilising additional financing for green projects.
Who can apply?
Companies and investors that are developing green projects with a Nordic interest can apply.
Where and how?
- For green projects in Eastern Europe, i.e. Armenia, Belarus, Estonia, Georgia, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova, Poland, Russia or Ukraine.
- Loans and equity – up to EUR 5 million for investments
- Buyer credits – up to EUR 5 million for delivery of environmentally sustainable products, machinery or services
- For Nordic Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises (SMEs) and mid-cap companies for green projects carried out on global markets outside the Nordic countries
- Loans and equity-type funding – up to EUR 2.5 million
- For Nordic SMEs to conduct feasibility studies for internationalisation outside of the EU/EEA
- Grants through the Nordic Project Fund (Nopef), up to EUR 50,000
Scope of project?
Small and medium-sized projects that have positive and relevant environmental impact in the country where the project is located but also for the Nordic region. We always assess the technical feasibility and financial profitability of all projects. Typical projects may be:
- Investments in best available technology for industrial operations
- Modernisation of industrial production processes
- Raw material and resource savings
- Wastewater treatment and waste management
- Renewable energy: Biomass, wind, solar, geothermal and small-scale hydro power projects.
- Production of equipment for pollution abatement
- Energy efficiency measures
- Environmental consultancies and services
- NEFCO loan financing can be up to 7 years
- NEFCO normally exits from equity investments after 5-7 years
- Currency: EUR
- Amount: Loans and equity up to EUR 5 million
- NEFCO’s financing does generally not exceed 50 % of the total investment.
- Interest rates: market terms, fixed or floating rate interest on loans
How we work
As an international financial institution we have a range of policies and guidelines that will help you understand how we work both internally and with our partners and customers. Click further to read more about these >>
We welcome project proposals, which aim at generating positive environmental or climate-related results. Read further about our environmental criteria and guidelines >>
Projects should also contribute to the global sustainable development goals >>
How to apply
You can contact NEFCO through our contact form to determine if your project is eligible for NEFCO funding. Please provide name and contact details of your company, information about the current business areas, the name of the contact person, background, purpose and scope of the project, information regarding expected environmental benefits as well as possible Nordic participation and interest.
You can also contact our investment managers directly by email or by telephone.